The Order of the Most Holy Saviour, popularly known as the Order of St Bridget, was founded by the great mystic, St Bridget of Sweden in the 14th century. Later in the 20th century Mother M. Elizabeth Hesselblad a Swedish Lutheran convert, planted a new shoot when she established the United Bridgettine Monasteries at Rome in 1914.
Their foundation was opened in Bendur in 1977 at Nanthur Calvery Shrine. This foundation, at the foot of the Holy Cross has fulfilled the desire of the diocese to have a community of contemplative sisters here.
The life of a Bridgettine sister is both, contemplative and apostolic. The sisters live out their special charism which is nourished particularly at the celebration of the Hours and the Eucharistic adoration. The celebration of the Eucharist overflows into individual and communal adoration throughout the day, in prayer for the church, for the priests and for all mankind.
At Nanthur the two main features of Bridgettine life, namely adoration and hospitality shine out in splendour. The sisters serve the Lord with joy, and this is reflected in the hospitality offered for guests and the young girls in the hospital who come from rural areas for their studies.
In addition to helping in the Parish, the sisters run a kindergarten for children whom the parents confidently entrust to their care.
St Bridget’s Convent
Nanthoor Calvary Shrine
Mangalore 575 002
Contact No. :2211410
Superior : Sr.Geraldine D’Souza OSSS
No.of members residing : 15
Educational Institution (School / College / Technical Institute/Hostels ect ):
- Baldeepa Kindergarten, Nanthur
- Deepikalaya Hostel, Nanthur